Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Babies and Kitties

When I was pregnant with Z, a few people asked if I was worried about our cats, Id*gie and M*ilo, interacting with a baby - jumping in the crib, scratching the baby, etc. We weren't worried - our vet reassured us that cats usually have a tolerance for the baby early on. Unfortunately, we did not have the chance to find out with Idg*ie because she died less than a week after we came home from the hospital with Z after contracting diabetes 3 months earlier. Id*gie had been a stray and came to live with us after my sister in law took her in over 8 years ago. She was a bit persnickety at times, but we loved her dearly. (I have posted a picture of Idgie here.) At 3 years, Mi*lo has always been a bit of a wild card and a lot like a kitten. We weren't sure what would happen for Mi*lo between Idg*ie's death and having Z. But he has risen to the changes and the challenges. He has mellowed considerably, and as you can see, actually enjoys Z's attention to him. (I think he actually thinks she is petting him - which we are working on with her.) When M enters a room, Z gets very excited - she has a special way of talking to other babies and she uses this same tone and "words" with M. She notices him in the next room and drops what she is doing to chase him. She actually "leap frogged" over him after this picture was taken - I wish I could have gotten that on video! Its amazing to me how this kind of relationship happens and it is fun to see. Growing up, we had a dog, but I married into a serious cat family. It is fun to see how this love for cats is now be passed on to Z already. Oh, and M only jumped in the crib once - it was before she was born and right after we set it up. I think he just wanted to check it out. He lost interest when he realized it was harder to get out than it is to get in!

1 comment:

Cinden Carlstrom said...

What cute pictures of Zoe! Judy gave me this blog info. I had to comment on the picture with the cats because I have 3 cats. Zoe is such a doll.